Welcome! This site exists to help shed light on the topics of science and Catholic faith. Please introduce yourself here!

If you would like to subscribe to this blog, click here. To receive new posts by e-mail, enter your e-mail address below. Your e-mail is always kept private.


Delivered by FeedBurner

WFMW: Taming the wild litter box

This post has been moved to my other blog, The Road to Black. To post a comment, visit the link.

This is not a commercial and I have no stake in this product. But it really does work for me, so I feature it this Wednesday. If you have a cat, read on.

We have two cats. When our first child arrived, we no longer had room for the second litter box. And since we are lazy, we knew we would never change a single litter box often enough.

So we went to the big-box pet store and sprung for one of those gimmicky products that the pet-supply world is full of. This one lived up to the hype!

We've had our Litter Maid box for three years. When we brought it home and plugged it in, the cats thought it was the coolest thing ever and would run to watch every time it scooped the box. It requires no care from us except to dump the poop-tray once a week and refill the litter (and occasionally clean it like any litter box).

The cons are that the box itself is expensive (about $150 for the extra-large model we got) and so are the refill trays (almost a dollar each, and we go through one a week with two cats). You could dump them out and re-use them, but that would defeat the purpose of not having to mess around with dirty cat litter. You also have to buy good clumping litter (Tidy Cat Multi-Cat has always worked for us) which costs a little more, but that works out to be even because you waste less of it.

Now if only I could find self-changing diapers, I would be all set!

Works For Me Wednesday is hosted by Rocks In My Dryer.


Creative Commons License



3 comments:
gravatar
Sharon said...
January 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

We almost bought one of these. Right now I have a "hooded" tray to help keep the litter from being kicked out. I think I am goin to hold out for one of those CatGenies...hook it up to the laundry line and never have to do anything....(I am waiting to do some research on it)

gravatar
Anonymous said...
January 23, 2008 at 9:06 PM  

This is on my list of things to buy in the near future. So thanks for letting me know you like it!

gravatar
Louise said...
January 24, 2008 at 1:17 AM  

Gosh, we love our Littermaid! With 2 cats in 300 square feet, it is vital to keep that box scooped.

We do reuse the receptacles, though. Just pull them out, dump them into a garbage bag, and re-install them.

Of course, my husband does all this, so when I say "we reuse..." I mean HE touches the gross, used part. Not me. :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts